Friday, September 21, 2012

Dining With Sugiyama: Tastes Like Chicken

Now I’m no structural engineer, but unless the coming of Satan is occurring outside my bedroom window, I’d guess that another Saturday shift has started on the construction site next door. As the first pitchfork strikes hard into the ground, steeling the air like a drunk man clattering through a church, I look at the clock and see that it’s 8am; breakfast time.
 
I only ever eat breakfast on weekends. During the week, I refuse to get out of bed any earlier than I have to, preferring instead to rise twenty minutes prior to work and dart around like a duck on fire before scurrying into the lift unfed. The hunger pangs are all I usually ruminate on until lunchtime.
At the weekend, I face up to my demons and the most important but least inspiring meal of the day. I always ate cereal when I was a kid because there were children starving in Africa and apparently that meant I was a complete shit. I went through my childhood convinced that by scraping my soggy Weetabix into the welcoming bin, I was consciously consigning swathes of little African babies to an early death. I became entranced in the belief that I was responsible for apartheid and was ultimately laughed out of University when airing my belief that I was in many ways responsible for Live Aid.
Simpler times…
Cereal is out. I always think it tastes like something weeded out from the gnarling jaws of a combine harvester. And if God had wanted us to drink rancid post-Coco-Pops chocolate milk, he’d have had the Kowloon Dairy bottle it and sell it to the general public even though it tastes like ass...
Oh that’s right… They do. (Miaow… What a bitch!)
I decided that I’d just starve again until lunchtime and as a treat, allow my weekday habits to invade and impose upon my weekend tendencies. Sufficiently hungry and in need of distraction, I happened upon an article online in which a young Japanese man was being charged with indecent exposure. It turns out, this self-styled asexual illustrator had procured surgical assistance to have his genitals hacked off and returned to him in presumably vacuum packed form.
Now I don’t know about you but, when a man decides to have his genitals hacked off for the craic, I don’t think that guy should be placed in charge of said bag o’ genitals. It is highly likely, as is the case here, that the aspirant eunuch will preserve said genitals, arrange a dinner to be attended by some rich ghouls and serve said genitals to said rich ghouls.
HIGHLY LIKELY!!!…
Apparently, each guest paid $200USD for their share in a professionally cooked meal, the centrepiece of which was dishes inspired by the contents of the bag o’ genitals. Seventy five guests ultimately arrived to witness the spectacle although all but five had to be content with beef dishes due to the limited contents of the bag o’ genitals. I can only imagine their disappointment.
Although none of the guests were willing to offer a casual, somewhat bitter Come Dine With Me assessment of the evening, one can only assume that – as is normally the case – it tasted a bit like chicken.
Of course, it’s pretty sensational to think that a man would have his genitals severed and that some dodgers would pop round and extend the sensationalism by devouring the severed package. What’s probably more sensational is the fact that, somewhere out there, is a chef who was confident enough in his knowledge of cooking human body parts that he was able to charge an astronomical fee for his experience. I don’t know about you but I don’t think I’ll be inviting that guy to flambé at my kids’ birthday parties!
As I mentioned above, our asexual illustrator/eunuch/host has been charged with indecent exposure and this for me is probably the most sensational aspect of the whole case. Apparently, even after your genitals have been detached from your body, you are still responsible under the terms of secual indecency legislation for your management of them. This seems absolutely astounding to me. I would like to think that, if I were ever circumcised or castrated and afforded the luxury of retaining the scythed tissue, that the state would allow me the entertainment of illicitly livening up birthday cakes with it or dangling it from the unsuspecting ears of drunken friends at parties!
Nanny state! Bloody hell! What’s this world coming to! Oh fuck it, I’m gonna go buy the Daily Mail…

No comments:

Post a Comment